Date & Time: Thursday, July 20, 2023, 7:30 AM – 9:30 AM
Speaker: India Chance – RDH
- Recognize common and emergent medical conditions: obtaining an accurate and compliant medical history assessment for each patient that is encountered.
- Describe pre-hospital provider protocols and the importance of team dynamics when implementing a medical emergency response.
- Identify the medical equipment required when performing intervention efforts during a patient medical emergency.
- Explain how to effectively document the intervention response in the patient’s health record.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to use the required medical emergency equipment through an interactive “hands-on” simulation.
With the increase of medically compromised patients presenting for dental treatment, it is essential for dental healthcare providers to learn how to successfully manage a patient medical emergency. This course will identify common medical emergencies that occur in a dental healthcare setting and describe the most prevalent signs and symptoms. Course content will also explore the components included in a medical emergency response plan: management protocols, required medical equipment, and dental team dynamics. Special emphasis will be placed on medical emergency prevention through the collection of a thorough patient health history assessment. A 20-minute interactive experience is provided for attendees to explore various “hands-on” stations to simulate managing different medical emergencies.